s/v Tribute

Keel, 38',  On deck, 40', Overall, 48'

Built on Man-O'-War Cay at Albury's boat yard by William H. Albury 'Uncle Will'.  

Launched under the name 'Safari',

The work begins, 3/3/12                             

The cabin took plenty of scrubbing with bleach, and the sole was warped & buckled after being inundated in hurricane Irene.  
I took the boards up, planed them and screwed them back down. I plugged & sanded them and applied 3 coats of polyurethane.

The companionway hatch was salvagable.

The main cabin hatch was paper thin. 
We  replaced it & the forward hatch.

The companionway sill had rotted,

So I chiseled it out

And replaced it.
Then painted it.

Our friends, Chris & Vanya, spent many hours on the brightwork.

On the ways at Edwin's Boatyard.

Keith                     Blake
I use all the help I can get.
Over 120 dutchmen.
       A closeup of of the work.  .

Finished product




Our new 3 cylinder, 21 hp Westerbeke.

When Stafford Patterson and a group from Hopetown purchased the racing boat, Abaco Rage, they increased the hight of the mast.  They were generous enough to give us the original 67 foot long mast.  Roland Albury offered to haul it from Hopetown to Man-O'-War Cay and the Lighthouse Marina generously provided the use of their crane & a fair amount of manpower.

Mast removal
Main Mizzen

Freight boat 'Carib' with crane we used to pull the masts.

We dropped both masts in the water & floated them back to Edwin's yard.

Blake cut almost 20' (lying on the ground) off the 67' Rage mast & reconfigured the base to match the old Tribute mast.

Rebuilding the mizzen was a more complicated job.


In the meantime, I have been repairing the rigging in preparation for the installation of the masts.

Hopefully I will have the main mast hardware rebuilt in time to install the masts before I leave on July 19th.

Wednesday, 7/11/12, we hoisted the two masts aboard the Tribute where I attached the track & other hardware.

By Friday, I had attached rigging, wiring & halyards to the masts, ready for the crane at 2:00PM

Immediately after taking these pictures, I went forward to make sure the mast socket was clear.  There in the pocket lay a still shiny silver dollar.  Blake asked if I wanted to leave it there.  I said yes & the mast thumped down on it w/out further ceremony.


With masts stepped, we head back to Edwin's for final rigging.

The last peice of rigging, the triatic stay.

The hardware was cast bronze leaded onto the stainless cable.  I managed to save all but one of the original fittings.


Last but not least, a new pair of boots.

The end of a long day.

Click here for Part 2